Top 5 Best Baby Carrier For Breastfeeding (Short Buying Guide Included)
Having a baby carrier makes it easy for parents to breastfeed their babies. Looking for the best baby carrier for breastfeeding can be hard especially for new parents and inexperienced baby wearer. It seems like a new item is released every day and the overwhelming options make it difficult to make a decision.
**Below, you'll find more detailed reviews, but you can also click links above to check current prices and read customer's reviews on Amazon.
Types Of Baby Carriers
Before purchasing the best baby carrier for breastfeeding, it is important to know the available types that you can choose from. Each offers different features and styles. No matter what kind of carrier you choose, always check the safety advices and instructions given by the manufacturer.
1. Pouch Slings
The most popular type of baby carrier is pouch slings, especially for first time parents. It has a continuous loop of fabric that hugs the parent’s body and a pouch that carries the baby. Some products offer buckles so parents can easily adjust the pouch. This carrier may be the easiest type but not as comfortable as other types of carrier.
2. Ring Slings
Ring slings are also one of the most versatile types of baby carrier. It comes with a long fabric that is threaded through two rings for easier and safer carrying. Ideal for younger babies, this type of carrier offers parents versatile carrying positions while keeping your little one close to your heart. This makes it easy for mothers to breastfeed their babies.
3. Wrap Slings
Also known as wraparounds and baby wrap carriers, wrap slings are ideal for keeping your little one close to you for long periods of time. This type of carrier is popular for equal weight distribution and ultimate comfort.
Like Innoo Tech Baby Sling Carrier, the design of this type is good for continuous closeness with newborns for a constant bonding. It comes with a long piece of fabric that is tied and securely wrapped around the mother’s body.
4. Soft Structured Carriers (Mei Tais)
Mei Tais are the traditional style of carrying the babies that have been used for thousands of years. Also known as Asian Style carriers, they come with a square or rectangular fabric panel and four straps.
Modern Mei Tais offer new features including stylish prints, shoulder padding, reversible color options, durable fabrics, and contoured headrest. Like wrap slings, Mei Tais also provide even weight distribution.
5. Soft Structured Carriers (With Buckles)
Another type of baby carrier is soft structured carriers with buckles. Most parents like to use this style as it comes with buckles, allowing mothers to use and adjust the item easily. Other updated features include reversible colors, additional shoulder and body padding, and added support.
How To Choose The Best Baby Carrier For Breastfeeding?
Here are some factors that parents must consider when selecting the best baby carrier for breastfeeding.
1. Carrying Positions
Before getting the right carrier, you would want to consider the positions that the item offers. The five main positions include front inward facing, front outward facing, cradle/hammock, back, and hip positions.
For newborns, the ideal carrying positions are front inward facing and cradle/hammock like the Babypeta Carrier Sling as they do not have head control. This way, the baby can rest close to your heart in a comfortable and safe position that supports the whole body.
For toddlers, parents may consider hip, back, or front outward positions to let their little ones watch their surroundings. The most popular carrying position for older babies is back carrying, making it easy for the kid to hug your back and see the world.
2. Shoulder And Back Support
Parents who are suffering from shoulder and back problems may consider carriers that offer additional support and even weight distribution. The types of baby carriers that provide these features are Mei Tais, Soft Structured Carriers with Buckles, and Wrap Slings.
The best baby carrier for breastfeeding come with body and shoulder paddings, such as the Six-Positions Ergonomic Baby & Child Carrier by Lillebaby. Without adding bulk to the item, it provides extra comfort and heat to both mother and baby. Paddings are also ideal if you will be wearing the carrier for long hours, making sure that your shoulders and back would not be painful when you remove the item.
For tropical or warmer climates, it is best to search for breathable fabrics. The material should also be machine washable like 3-in-1 Baby Wrap Carrier by Bambini & Me to eliminate sweat and dirt built-up easily. Paddings will provide additional heat and may lead to discomfort if the climate is hot.
4. Ease Of Use
While most baby carriers are easy to use, some require a little time to learn how the item works. These items always come with printed manual and free DVD to assist parents on how to use the carrier.
Another thing that has to be considered is the ability to nurse the baby effortlessly. Ring Slings and Baby Wraps are ideal for breastfeeding and some brands provide additional features for privacy purposes. You can also choose a portable carrier so you can always bring it anywhere you go.
Best Baby Carrier For Breastfeeding
To help parents look for the right carrier for their little one, here are the five best carriers for breastfeeding.
This sling carrier by Innoo Tech allows parents to keep their both hands free so they can continue with their household chores, shopping, or walking while their babies are resting comfortably.
It is 4.5 meters long and 0.54 meters wide, providing enough space and support for the baby’s neck, back, and head. With the baby near the parent’s chest, breastfeeding can be private and convenient.
- With this baby sling carrier, parents have free use of both hands for finishing other tasks like household chores, shopping, and brisk walks.
- The baby relaxes near the chest, making breastfeeding easy, convenient, and private.
- The sling surrounds the parent and baby’s spine, counteracting the weight of the baby with the parent’s back to prevent sore muscles.
- When the baby is wrapped in natural cotton sling, it relaxes the baby’s muscles and reduces crying.
- With its 4.5 meters long and 0.54 meters wide, it provides support for the baby’s back, neck, and head.
- It does not come with rings or buckles, letting parents to simply tie on with tapered ends design.
- It may take two people to put it one as the clasp between the shoulder blades is a bit hard to reach.
This baby carrier sling by Babypeta offers beautiful and stylish designs to make the appearance of the item more appealing. Good for babies from 4 to 35 pounds, it lets parents carry their little ones close to their chest so they can have bonding from day one. This machine-washable carrier can also accommodate toddlers and is very easy to bring along.
- Parents can keep their little ones close to their chests with the comfortable wrap. This easy-to-bring carrier lets parents and babies build strong bonds, allowing breastfeeding on the go.
- The print fabrics are made from spandex and organic cotton for a comfortable and soft fit. It is simple to pack and small enough to fit in a diaper bag.
- Thanks to its water-resistant print, Babypeta carrier is machine-washable, giving you plenty of time and energy to play with your baby.
- It is made with premium cotton and spandex that lets parents create a comfortable and warm sling to hold the baby against their bodies. The breathable material keeps both infant and caregiver comfortable.
- This baby sling has eye catching designs that are great for both boys and girls.
- The fabric can be quite hot during warm months.
This comfortable baby carrier by Lillebaby provides six positions to accommodate babies from 7 to 45 pounds. This lets you wear the item on your front, back, or hip so your little one can have a fetal position or face in or out. It also comes with padded straps that create a comfortable fit for parents of all body types.
- This carrier by Lillebaby features six carrying positions that can grow with your baby from newborn to 45 pounds. The positions are fetal settings, infant settings, toddler settings, front outward, hip, and back carry.
- There is no insert needed to use the item. It comes with adjustable and padded head support that secures the baby’s neck and head comfortably.
- The International Hip Dysplasia Institute has evaluated this baby carrier as an ergonomic, hip healthy baby carrier.
- It comes with lumbar support and waist belt that give stability, alleviate pressure, and distribute the baby’s weight evenly.
- This machine washable carrier features a temperature regulation panel that lets you zip-up or zip-down easily to reveal breathable mesh.
- The 360 degrees All-in-One Complete allows parents to decide how they want to carry their babies.
- This item is bulkier than other carriers.
The 3-in-1 baby wrap carrier by Bambini & ME can be used as a blanket to keep the baby comfortable, a nursing cover for breastfeeding, and as a carrier for finishing household tasks. It is made of premium cotton blend that is snuggly soft on baby’s skin.
This machine-washable carrier is also machine-washable, making it easy for parents to clean it up when the baby spits up, drools, or when there is a diaper leakage.
- This 3-in-1 baby wrap can be used as a carrier, a nursing cover, and a blanket.
- It comes with a simple picture instruction to show parents how easy it is to use the carrier.
- This carrier allows parents to have hands-free bonding time with their little one.
- The adjustable and breathable wrap is good for both parents and newborn. It is also machine-washable so parents have nothing to worry about cleaning the wrap up.
- This baby wrap is made of premium cotton blend, making it soft on infant’s skin.
- The adjustable and lightweight wrap comes with free straps and buckles, ideal for hands free carrying and breastfeeding.
- The material may get hot quickly in warmer climates.
- It requires some practice to figure it out especially for new parents.
This baby sling wrap by Cozitot can accommodate babies from 7.5 to 35 pounds. Being lightweight and strong, this carrier lets parents keep their baby close to their chest, making it easy to breastfeed and have bonding time.
Its cotton and spandex blend is stretchable and does not sag. By pulling up the front of the wrap, parents can have privacy for breastfeeding their newborns.
- This baby sling is ideal for both comforting and having bonding time with babies, whether walking in the park, working in front of computer, or simply sitting on the couch.
- Its cotton and spandex blend forms the right baby pocket and does not sag.
- This sling wrap by Cozitot provides privacy for nursing mothers by simply pulling up the front wrap.
- It can accommodate babies from 7.5 to 35 pounds. This wrap is also adjustable to let dads wear the item.
- Using this wrap is easy. It does not require buckles and straps to tie the sling, making it faster to accommodate the needs of the baby.
- The instructions given are easy to follow.
- The material may get too hot to wear after using for extended periods of time.
- Wrapping requires some practice.
Keeping your baby close is important to promote early bonding. However, not all carriers allow comfortable and easy breastfeeding. The five items that we mentioned above are some of the best carrier for breastfeeding and each has their own pros and cons. Before choosing the right item for you and your baby, consider the type, padding, support, and comfort of the carrier.
When it comes to supporting and carrier, we recommend Six-Position, 360 Degrees Baby & Child Carrier by Lillebaby. In addition to the provision of six possible positions, it also comes with additional padding and support. It can also accommodate babies from newborn to 45 pounds.