How To Choose The Best Toddler Pillow – Mom’s Guide 2017
It is vital that all people get the soundest sleep possible. As your baby grows, your little one will need the best toddler pillow to stay at ease throughout the night. Also called infant pillows, these baby items are designed to provide your baby a comfortable and pleasant slumber. In return, this helps you get sound sleep as well.
**Below, you'll find more detailed reviews, but you can also click links above to check current prices and read customer's reviews on Amazon.
What Is A Toddler Pillow?
Toddlers can only achieve a relaxing sleep on a toddler pillow and not on a regular pillow. Your pillows are designed to give support to the heads and necks of adults. Placing the head of your toddler on a regular pillow will only give unnecessary strain on the shoulders and neck. This strain may result in a sleepless night and poor posture.
Infant or toddler pillows have the right proportions to accommodate the neck, head, and shoulders of your baby. This helps in achieving a comfortable sleep without feeling any strain. A good sleeping pattern is important for your baby’s development and wellbeing.
When Should You Give A Toddler Pillow To Your Child?
There are many debates as to when parents should give their babies a toddler pillow. According to experts and many experienced moms, the right time to introduce a toddler pillow to your child is when you move them from crib to a bed. This happens around the age of 18 to 24 month.
Some parents have also reported that they gave toddler pillows to their babies before reaching this age and they did not encounter any problems. As every child behaves and grows differently, there is no universal “right time” to give your baby the best toddler pillow. Based on the development and behavior of your child, it is your decision when to give your little one a pillow.
You can also check for some signs to determine if your baby is ready to use one. Check if your toddler finds it difficult to sleep without due to discomfort or your baby is more comfortable with the head being propped up. This could be the time for your little one to use a pillow. Another way is to check if your child’s shoulders are already wider than this head. This usually means that infants are now more comfortable sleeping on a toddler pillow.
If your child is not showing any of the signs mentioned, perhaps they are not ready for an infant pillow.
How To Choose A Toddler Pillow
Choosing the best toddler pillow for your little one can be a tricky task. Here are some things that you need to consider.
1. Consider Your Toddler’s Allergies
Before buying a pillow for your child, it is important to know if he or she has allergies. If your child is allergic to certain materials like wool, you should avoid purchasing woolen mattresses and pillows. Knowing what your little one is and is not allergic to can help you make the right decision.
2. Firmness vs. Softness
You would want to get a pillow that is soft yet firm enough. You will need a delicate balance between support and comfort like Little Sleepy Head Toddler Pillow. A pillow is too soft if you press down on it and it does not return to its shape.
On the other hand, if you press hard on it and it does not move, it may be too hard for your child. While most infant pillows are designed to provide maximum comfort and support, it is best to test how firm or how soft the pillow is before making a purchase.
3. Cover Material
The outer cover of most toddler pillows is made from cotton like Toddler Pillow in White & Prints. However, it is important to consider that cotton can be regular or organic. Regular cotton should be avoided as they may be harmful to your toddler’s delicate skin. Organic cotton does not contain bleaches, dyes, or other harmful toxins, making it a better choice.
4. Washable Pillow Case
This is another important thing that you should consider when choosing the best toddler pillow. Kids love to explore and there is a high chance that they will make the pillow dirty.
It is best to select a pillow with washable outer cover like the Dreamtown Kids Toddler Pillow. Some pillows are already machine washable, allowing parents to save time and have more bonding moments with their little ones.
Is your child sensitive to dust, dust mites, mold, microbes and more? You can opt for hypoallergenic pillows which are made from materials that can help in reducing allergic reactions. Look for a label that states hypoallergenic.
6. Pillow Fill Material
Before buying a toddler pillow, you can also check the fill material. Most fill materials used are feathers, synthetic fill, memory foam and down. When selecting the right item for your child, make sure that the fill does not create too much noise. Materials like synthetic fills and buckwheat can be loud as it moves. This may disturb your child from his sleep.
7. Satisfaction Guarantee
Toddler pillows available in the market come with a guarantee. Most range between 90 days to 3 years. While the period of guarantee differs from one brand to another, the best toddler pillow comes with the longest satisfaction guarantee. This also shows that the manufacturer provides quality products.
5 Best Toddler Pillows For 2017
To help parents decide for the best toddler pillow, we have listed 5 products and their corresponding features.
This toddler pillow by A Little Pillow Company has dimensions of 18 x 13 x 3 inches. Weighing 7 ounces, this hypoallergenic pillow is also machine-washable. According to the manufacturer, this toddler pillow does not need to add a pillowcase anymore, but parents can cover it if they desire to do so. Made of 100% cotton, it contains safe hypoallergenic fill to reduce allergic reactions of toddlers.
- This toddler pillow has dimensions of 13 x 18 inches which is the recommended size by pediatricians. It is not too big and also not too small.
- It is encased in a 100% organic cotton cover with 200 thread count. It has not been treated with harmful chemicals during the process.
- This supportive pillow allows toddler to sleep in different comfortable positions, such as back, tummy, or side.
- The infant pillow is easy to clean. Parents can simply throw it through wash and dry cycle to save time.
- It contains 100% hypoallergenic deluxe cluster fiber that helps toddlers sleep better.
- They have a great customer service that make sure parents are happy with their purchase. Parents can return the item after 3 months for a full refund if the pillow is not suitable for their babies.
- The pillow may lose fluffiness after six months of use.
This pillow and pillowcases by Dreamtown Kids are 100% hypoallergenic, mildew resistant and mold resistant. It is also machine-washable, making it easy to care and clean. With a size of 14 x 19 inches, this infant pillow is not too large and not too small.
It also contains dense yet soft fibers that provide neck support and prevents kinks. The family-owned company also offers satisfaction guaranteed or money back.
- This toddler pillow by Dreamtown Kids is recommended by chiropractors. It has dimensions of 14 x 19 inches, making it an ideal pillow for a child.
- It comes with pillowcases that are 100% hypoallergenic, mildew resistant and mold resistant. There is no need to pay an additional cost for a separate cover.
- Both pillows and pillowcases are machine-washable, making it easy to clean and maintain your child’s items.
- The products of Dreamtown Kids are never treated with flame retardants or any other harmful chemicals. Parents can trust that there are no chemicals added to the manufacturing process.
- Dreamtown Kids offers a six month satisfaction guaranteed or your money back if it does not meet your needs.
- The toddler pillow has a low thread count and may not last long.
This take-it-everywhere your baby goes pillow has the right softness and size with its dimensions of 13 x 18 x 4 inches. The washable infant pillow is not too flat and not too fluffy. It is also 100% hypoallergenic and the polyester is covered by a 200 thread count cotton fabric.
It provides neck support to toddlers even in different sleeping positions. They can sleep on it, over it, next to it, or some other way. Pillowcases are sold separately.
- The dimensions of this toddler pillow are 13 x 18 x 4 inches. Its right size allows toddlers to sleep on it comfortably without strain on neck and shoulders.
- This pillow contains premium polyester cluster fiber fill. Its 100% soft cotton cover and 200 thread count fabric provide snugly support for toddler’s neck, no matter how he sleeps.
- This comfy pillow is 100% hypoallergenic and it does not cause or contribute to allergies.
- To help parents save time from doing household chores, this toddler pillow is washable. Simply wash on cold, gentle cycle, and dry on low to use the pillow fresh immediately.
- The company offers a 90-day money back guarantee and “love the fluff” guarantee.
- Parents have to purchase a separate pillow case.
When looking for the best toddler pillow, it is important to consider the size. This toddler pillow by Little One’s Pillow measures 13 x 18 x 4 inches and is designed to be supportive and soft. It is made from finest organic cotton without any chemical treatment, making it healthy and safe for infants.
This durable pillow is also machine-washable, making it easy to care and clean. It also has the right balance of fluffy and thin to keep toddlers comfortable throughout the night.
- This toddler pillow has dimensions of 13 x 18 x 4 inches that provide the right support and comfort to toddlers so they can rest without interruptions.
- The pillow is meticulously filled with 100% hypoallergenic premium and super-soft polyester fiber.
- It offers a right balance between fluffy and thin. It is designed with top chiropractors and pediatricians.
- Made from finest organic cotton, this infant pillow is not treated with any chemicals. It is grown and woven in the USA, making it safe and healthy for toddlers.
- This pillow is easy to clean and it is machine-washable, allowing parents to save time and keep the item fresh as much as possible.
- This pillow may seem too small or too thin for big toddlers. Nevertheless, it has the ideal size for most kids.
This toddler pillow by Kid’s Pillow Shams is filled with 100% premium synthetic polyester cluster fiber fill. It is covered by 100% high quality cotton with 240 thread count. This machine-washable baby essential is also hypoallergenic, bacteria resistant, dust-mite resistant, lump free and odorless.
With its size of 13 x 18 inches, it is ideal for children ages 2 and above. This pillow is also recommended by chiropractor so toddlers can sleep peacefully throughout the night.
- This infant pillow has dimensions of 13 x 18 x 3 inches, suitable for children ages 2 and above. It is the right size to support head, neck and shoulders.
- Its premium high thread count pillow shell also serves as a pillow case that is machine-washable. This makes it easy for parents to clean and maintain the baby item.
- This pillow is bacteria resistant, hypo-allergenic, dust-mite resistant and lump free.
- Its pillow shell is silky, durable, soft, and has a high thread count of 230. There is no need for a pillow case, unless parents want to.
- This item is chiropractor recommended. It offers comfort for toddlers who always changes position throughout the night.
- It may flatten out in many areas after or less than three months of use.
Getting the best toddler pillow for your little one can be tough as there are many options available out there. Before making a purchase, make sure that you consider your child’s allergies, pillow fill material, washable pillow case, cover material and guarantee. While all the toddler pillows mentioned above are great, we recommend Little One’s Pillow – Toddler Pillow.
Designed with top chiropractors and pediatricians, this pillow is 100% certified organic cotton shell, truly chemical free and unique hypoallergenic poly cluster fiber filling. The company also offers to send a custom pillow with less or more filling, according to the needs of your toddler.