Learn How To Pick The Best Cloth Diapers For Newborns
If you are thinking about switching to a more eco-friendly diapering route, cloth diapers are your best bet! The best cloth diapers for newborns are not just good your baby and the environment but this is also good to your wallet.
Without research, however, finding the best cloth diapers may result in a lot of trial and error. Read on to learn more about the factors to consider when choosing the best cloth diapers for newborns and the top picks of cloth diapers.
**Below, you find more detail reviews, but you also can click links above to see current prices and read customer's reviews on Amazon.
Why Cloth Diapers Are Becoming A Trend?
A lot of mothers are slowly realizing the importance and benefits of using cloth diapers. Cloth diapers are good for your baby’s health as well as the environment. Moreover, it can help save you money.
1. Better For Your Baby’s Health
Cloth diapers do not contain chemicals that may be found in disposable diapers. These chemicals have the tendency to cause rashes, especially if your baby has sensitive skin.
To avoid exposure from these chemicals, you may use cloth diapers. In addition, cloth diapers do not contain latex and fragrances.
2. Good For The Environment
The accumulation of disposable diaper wastes has a tremendous effect on the environment. This is very toxic to the environment. One way to lessen the impact of disposable diapers on the environment is to use cloth diapers.
3. Better For Your Wallet
If you purchase disposable diapers, it is estimated that you will spend about $1,700 to $2,000 per child. However, if you opt for cloth diapers, you will only be spending about $300 to $500 per child.
You can use the cloth diapers repeatedly, providing you with substantial savings per child.
Knowing The Different Types Of Cloth Diapers
There are different types of cloth diapers. Knowing the different types will help you make a better choice.
- Pocket Diapers. This type of cloth diapers comes with an absorbent insert that is made of cotton, hemp or microfiber. The inserts are placed between a waterproof exterior and a liner. This type of cloth diaper usually comes in a one-size fits all option.
- Diaper Covers. This type of cloth diapers come with a pre-folded diaper from a laundering service. For this type, it is recommended that you purchase six diaper covers and about 36 pieces of pre-folded diaper, especially if you are washing the diapers at home.
- Hybrid Type. The hybrid type is a mixed type of disposable, pocket and cover diapers. For this type of cloth diaper, the cover typically stays clean while the disposable insert catches the mess.
- All-in-Ones. This type of reusable cloth diapers is designed with layers. The cover and the moisture absorbent insert are sewn together. This type is best for daytime use.
Factors To Consider When Purchasing Cloth Diapers
Now that you know the different types of cloth diapers, it is time to take into consideration the features that are most beneficial for you and your baby. Look at these features, so you can be guided in making the right choice.
When picking a cloth diaper, effectiveness is something that you should consider. You should look for diapers that are tight enough around the waist and legs. This way, spills can be avoided. Moreover, it should be absorbent enough to hold stool and urine effectively.
2. Ease Of Use
If you want to use cloth diapers, you should opt for those that are easy to put together. Pocket diapers need ample time to prepare, as you still need to pre-stuff the diapers with the absorbent inserts.
3. Flexible Sizing
It is best to pick diapers that can fit small to large babies. This way, you do not have to purchase cloth diapers in varied sizes. You can even go for one size fits all types.
4. Durable And Long Lasting
You should always go for durable and high-quality cloth diapers if you want it to last for more than one child.
5. Colorful Waterproof Covers
Traditional diapers often come in white hues that are pretty boring and bland. However, with cloth diapers, you get to choose colorful and cool patterns.
6. Flushable Liners
This one feature may be a game changer for many parents. This liner is placed on top of the diaper and functions as a catch cloth for solids. With this feature, changing diapers become easier and cleaner.
Best Cloth Diapers For Newborns
We have tested and picked the top cloth diapers for newborns in the market. Read on so you can be guided in making the right and smart choice!
The Rumparooz cloth diaper will fit most babies from newborns to larger sized babies. This diaper is uniquely designed to grow with your baby. You can let your baby wear this cloth diaper during the potty training stage.
The Rumparooz cloth pocket diaper takes the lead with its high-quality materials and exceptional performance in providing a good fit and absorbency. This diaper can be customized when it comes to fit and absorbency.
This cloth diaper is soft and comfortable to use. Moreover, this is made from high-quality materials that are safe to use. This is a waterproof and an eco-friendly diaper that is great for your baby’s health and the environment.
The pockets of this cloth diaper are wide but secure enough making it easy to stuff while keeping the insert from shifting around. Not just that, this pocket diaper has a unique dual inner gusset that is useful in keeping messes from staining the edge of the diaper.
This cloth diaper is designed with more snaps for a perfect fit. In addition, this comes in colorful and fun patterns for you to choose. You can purchase this diaper in one-size fits all type, as this can fit newborns up to babies weighing 35 pounds.
- Offers an adjustable fit.
- You can customize the absorbency of this cloth diaper by stuffing more inserts in its pockets.
- The pockets are secure and roomy.
- Waterproof and an eco-friendly diaper
- This comes with unique inner gussets, which is a great feature if you want to avoid the sticky messes that can line the edges of the diaper.
- This diaper can be a bit bulky.
If you are on a budget, this Flip Hybrid cloth diaper may be your best option. This diaper is super absorbent, comfortable, easy to use, and relatively cheaper. This diaper is compatible with three types of inserts, which includes stay dry, disposable and organic.
This cloth diaper is also considered the most user-friendly type. This is available in one-size fits all type, so you do not have to purchase additional diapers as your baby grows in size. You can easily secure and adjust the diaper size with its snap closures.
The Flip Hybrid cloth diaper comes with a waterproof cover that you can easily clean and reuse when not soiled. You do not have to change the cover all the time during a diaper change.
This diaper has a snug and comfortable fit with a stretch-to-fit tab feature to customize the fit according to your baby’s size. In addition, the Flip Hybrid cloth diaper is designed with a form fitting leg elastic to prevent leaks.
This diaper is easy to use, as you will simply need to place the insert of your choice and you are good to go. Diaper change is also made easier. This diaper is not bulky. Instead, it features a thin and trim structure.
- Comes in one-size-fits-all. You can use the diaper for both large and small babies.
- With this diaper’s snaps, you can easily adjust its waistline.
- Comes with a waterproof cover
- Features a thin and trim structure.
- This diaper is easy to use.
- The cover of this cloth diaper needs to be line dried. You may need to wait a few minutes for it become completely dry.
- This diaper is designed with synthetic covers. However, this comes with organic inserts.
The Grovia Hybrid diaper is a modern diapering system that easily adapts to suit you and your baby’s needs. This cloth diaper is compatible with cloth and eco-friendly soaker pads, which is attached to a comfortable and waterproof outer shell.
When soiled or wet, you simply have to remove the soiled soaker pads and replace it with a new one. You have to secure the pad in the sticky pads on the diaper shell. The diaper shells can be reused two to three times before washing.
The soaker pads are available in four types, the Organic Cotton, Stay Dry, No Prep and the BioSoaker. Each pad comes with elasticized leg gussets, which help contain the messes.
This cloth diaper is designed with the flashy snap system, which allows the diaper to fit your baby as he grows in size. This can fit newborns up to toddler size. Not just that, this also comes with a breathable mesh, which offers comfort to your baby.
- You can get this cloth diaper in a one-size fits all type. You can use this diaper as your baby grows in size
- Offers flexibility in terms of usage.
- One great feature of this cloth diaper is that there are minimal leaks. If you hate leaking mess, this diaper may just be right for you.
- Made of high quality and durable materials.
- You still have to line dry this diaper’s cover.
- It also takes ample time to dry the inserts of this cloth diaper.
At the 4th spot, the FuzziBunz cloth diaper has taken the lead. This diaper is easy to use and eco-friendly. This pocket diaper offers comfort and a snug fit at an affordable price.
The FuzziBunz cloth diaper has pockets with adjustable elastic, which guarantees the right fit. When the elastic wears out, you can replace it with the FuzziBunz elastic replacement kit.
If you hate leaks, this may be a good option for you. When positioned in a smart way, the fit is more secure around the legs and waist of your baby. This means there will be fewer leaks. This is great, as babies often move a lot.
The FuzziBunz cloth diaper is rather flexible especially when it comes to sizing. This cloth diaper offers over 30 adjustment settings, which makes this diaper a great option for smaller babies. This cloth diaper can also fit large babies.
- Offers a thin and trim structure.
- Created with soft interiors and inserts.
- If you hate line drying, this diaper may be a good choice, as its inserts can be machine dried.
- Flexible with its 30 adjustment settings.
- Does not come with snaps that would adjust the rising.
- Comes with a tricky inner elastic adjustment, which may be a hassle when making adjustments.
The BumGenius Freetime is an all-in-one type of cloth diaper. This diaper is considered the most comparable to disposable diapers.
With this cloth diaper, diaper changing has been made easier and simpler. This diaper is designed with a waterproof interior that is both soft and great for sensitive skin types. You can easily adjust the absorbency of this diaper through its overlapping semi-attached inserts.
In addition, this cloth diaper comes with an extra layer of microfiber that is sewn into the shell. The BumGenius Freetime cloth diaper features a waterproof outer cover, which is great for leak prevention.
With its adjustable elastic snaps, this cloth diaper can be custom fitted to suit your baby’s needs and preferences.
- Offers a trim and slim structure, which is great if you hate bulkiness.
- This comes in a one-size fits all type. You can use this as your baby grows in size.
- Comes with an adjustable rise and waist feature.
- Made of high-quality materials.
- When stained, the stain on the diaper may be difficult to remove.
- When washing, you will need to line dry entire cloth diaper, which would take time.
With different brands of cloth diapers available in the market, finding the right one for your baby seems rather impossible. You should consider different features and find which ones suit you and your baby’s needs and preferences.
The Rumparooz Pocket Diaper has taken the lead and has surpassed all other brands in terms of comfort, absorbency, and quality.
This is a smart investment as it grows with your baby. You do not have to purchase additional diapers as your baby grows in size.