How To Choose The Best Baby Bottle Sterilizer: Ultimate Buying Guide
Parents who use bottles to feed their babies know how vital it is to have the best baby bottle sterilizer. There is nothing worse than seeing your little one sick. While you won’t be able to protect your child from everything, you can make sure that he is not drinking harmful bacteria along with his formula or breast milk.
**Below, you'll find more detailed reviews, but you can also click links above to check current prices and read customer's reviews on Amazon.
Why Should You Use A Baby Bottle Sterilizer?
No matter how careful you are in keeping your baby away from nasty critters, or how clean you maintain your home is, you will soon realize that there is not much you can do against bacteria and germs. For as long as your baby uses bottles, you will need to use a sterilizer to clean these bottles efficiently. Because the immune systems of babies are still developing, they are susceptible to illnesses and infections.
Milk is an easy breeding ground for bad bacteria and cleaning with detergent soap may not be enough. This is the reason why mothers back in the days had to boil a pot of hot water and submerge the bottles, silicone nipples and pacifiers for sterilization. Luckily, technological advancement has helped in the development of the best baby bottle sterilizer that fits the budget.
What Can Happen if Bottles Are Not Sterilized?
Babies are vulnerable to germs that may cause vomiting and diarrhea. These germs can easily develop in milk, making infants exposed to diseases. Teats and bottles have crannies and nooks that may allow milk to build up. The best way to make sure that your little one’s bottles are free from harmful bacteria is by using one of the best baby bottle sterilizers.
How Long Should You Use A Sterilizer?
It is recommended by experts to continue sterilizing your baby’s bottles until he is at least one year old. It is also ideal to sterilize feeding scoops that come with formula milk alongside the baby bottles. Once your baby reaches six months old and has started eating solids, you may try to encourage him to use a beaker or cup for his milk. These are easier to clean and do not have to be sterilized.
Beakers and cups are also better for your little one’s teeth than bottles. You can just wash these in clean, soapy, hot water, along with your baby’s spoon, plates, and bowls. If you want to use a dishwasher, make sure that your baby’s items are dishwasher safe and place them above the rest. Dry your baby’s things with a clean towel. Compared with milk, bacteria do not easily develop in solid food.
Types Of Bottle Sterilizer
There are several types of bottle sterilizer.
1. Electric Bottle Sterilizer
This type of sterilizer, like Philips AVENT 3-in-1 Sterilizer, uses steam to get rid of bacterial and germs that may be present in your baby’s bottles. Some sterilizers also deodorize bottles and they are able to accommodate more than one bottle at once. The process of sterilization is fast, usually less than 10 minutes. However, they are more expensive and may take up more space on the counter-top.
2. Microwave Bottle Sterilizer
Like electric sterilizers, microwave sterilizers also use hot steam to purge harmful bacteria and germs. To use this type, you will need to place the bottles in the container, add enough water, and put it in the microwave. Like Munchkin Steam Guard Microwave Sterilizer, they are quick, usually less than 5 minutes. They are also very affordable and can be stored in cabinet when not in use. However, there are no deodorizing and drying features.
3. UV Bottle Sterilizer
These sterilizers are the newest and they use ultraviolet light to get rid of germs and bacteria. These items are the most portable as they are lightweight and small, making it ideal for traveling. However, this may require you to disassemble the bottle and sterilize every piece independently.
What To Look For In A Baby Bottle Sterilizer?
Looking for the best baby bottle sterilizer may be difficult as you would encounter hundreds or thousands of them in the market. To help you choose the right item for cleaning your baby’s items, here are some factors that you may want to consider.
1. Capacity: You would want the sterilizer to be big enough to accommodate your baby’s bottles and other bits. Buying a bigger sterilizer like Dr. Brown’s Microwave Steam Sterilizer can clean many bottles at once, cutting down your workload.
2. Ease of use: The item should be simple to operate as being a parent requires you to do multiple tasks at once. Electric sterilizers are often easy to use, but if there are so many buttons or the instructions are a bit confusing, consider moving on in your search.
3. Drying feature: While microwave sterilizers work fast, the bottles are left wet. Parents will have to dry them after they are removed from the microwave, which adds another step to your job. Some sterilizers like Little Matisse Sterilizer come with a drying feature. Consider this when selecting the best baby bottle sterilizer.
4. Portability: If you often travel, you would want a sterilizer that is both affordable, smaller in size and light for easy portability.
5. Kitchen space: Some parents might want sterilizers that do not require too much space on their kitchen counters. If your kitchen is spacious, this may not be a problem for you.
Best Baby Bottle Sterilizer 2017
To help parents find the best baby bottle sterilizer for their needs, we have made a list of the best options.
This electric steam sterilizer by Philips AVENT get rids 99.9% of harmful bacteria and germs in 6 minutes. It comes with automatic shut off for safety and speed, which is a useful feature for busy parents. Its 3-in-1 adjustable design lets you fit a variety of bottles, accessories and pumps. Like other electric steam sterilizers in the market, this item needs to cool down for 10 minutes before turning it on again.
- This sterilizer has a 3-in-1 adjustable modular design that allows parents to fit a variety of bottles, accessories and pumps. It can accommodate up to 6 Philips Avent 11-ounce bottles at full capacity.
- If the lid remains unopened, this electric sterilizer keeps all contents sterile for up to 24 hours. It kills 99.9% of harmful bacteria and germs without using chemicals.
- It cleans with a 6-minute cycle. Once the cycle is complete, this device shuts off automatically.
- This 3-in-1 sterilizer is made from BPA-free materials, making it safe to sterilize baby bottles and other items.
- It does not take a lot of kitchen space. The baskets fit both narrow and wide neck bottles.
- The cord is too thick and short. It does not tuck in the bottom and may slightly tip on the counter.
- It doesn’t dry, which adds an extra step to workload.
The Steam Guard Microwave Sterilizer by Munchkin kills up to 99.9% of harmful bacteria within 2 minutes. It holds up to 4 bottles and two breast pump shields at once. It also kills bacteria on pacifiers, teethers and small toys right in the microwave.
This lightweight and compact bottle sterilizer with heat-resistant handles works in all standard microwaves. It does not take a lot of space in your kitchen as it can be easily stored in a cabinet. It also comes with a locking tab to keep everything inside safe and to prevent accidental opening.
- This lightweight, compact bottle sterilizer comes with heat-resistant handles. This makes it easy for parents to take the sterilizer out from a microwave.
- It kills 99.9% of bacteria on bottles, pacifiers, breast pump accessories, nipples and teethers right in the microwave. This sterilizer can fit up to 4 baby bottles and 2 breast pump shields at once.
- It works in all standard microwaves.
- One of its great features is the locking tab, which safeguard everything inside. It also prevents accidental opening.
- It has open-away latch that prevents steam burns.
- The base does not have a lip. Condensation in the lid may leak outside the steamer.
This microwave steam sterilizer by Dr. Brown’s effectively kills all harmful household bacteria and germs. It comes with a sterilizing tray, which is custom molded to fit 4 Dr. Brown’s baby bottles. This tray is also removable for easy cleaning and holds standard or wide neck bottles. This dishwasher safe sterilizer is also BPA-free, ensuring that your baby’s bottles are safe and clean. It is also useful for sterilizing nipples, training cups and pacifiers.
- This microwave steam sterilizer has a sterilizing tray that is molded to hold 4 Dr. Brown’s baby bottles. It is also removable to make it easier for parents to clean the item.
- Its steam heat effectively kills all common household bacteria and germs.
- Holds standard and wide neck bottles, this feeding bottle sterilizer comes with a pair of tongs to easily remove the sterilized bottles.
- It is BPA-free sterilizer, which ensures your baby’s bottles are clean and safe for your little one. It is also dishwasher safe.
- In addition to bottles, it is also used for sterilizing parts, nipples, training cups and pacifiers.
- Many parents have reported that this microwave steam sterilizer is too big for their microwave. If you have a big microwave, then this would not be an issue.
The Multifunctional Intelligent Baby Bottle Sterilizer by Little Metisse follows medical sterilization standards very strictly. It combines the advanced digital technology with good grade safe material. Developed with multi-functions, this sterilizer is also used for warming up milk, heating up food and steaming food to help baby’s development.
This item is equipped with HEPA professional antibacterial shield filter. It also comes with an illuminated screen and displays time, current cycle, temperature data and more.
- Little Matisse’s sterilizer is a multifunctional machine. This intelligent baby bottle sterilizer is also used for heating up food, warming up milk and steaming food.
- It follows medical sterilization standards and it combines the advanced digital technology with good grade safe material.
- The bottle sterilizer and dryer takes a high temperature by rising the air pressure. It is also equipped with HEPA professional antibacterial shield filter for 99.9% efficiency.
- This multifunctional sterilizer comes with an illuminated screen and displays temperature data, time, current cycle and more. It also features 3 sterilizing options and drying options (20, 40 and 60 minutes).
- This chemical-free device has 30-minute Interval Delay Timer up to 12 hours, Keep Warm Setting, Empty Auto-Shutoff and Convertible Design.
- This item is more expensive than other bottle sterilizers, but it offers more features that allow parents to save both time and money in the long run.
This portable UV sterilizer by Joy Baby uses UV-C light to kill 99.99% of bacteria, germs and viruses. This is also the same method used in dental offices and hospitals to disinfect their equipment.
It is also used for cleaning bottle nipples and pacifiers so they can be ready to use within a few minutes. With its portable design, it can easily fit into bags for sterilization on-the-go. Made of UV-proof ABS material, this sterilizer is clinically tested and proven.
- This sterilizer uses UV-C light to kill 99.99% of bacteria, viruses and germs. This is the same technique used in dental offices and hospitals to disinfect their instruments.
- It has a compact design, making it easy for parents to fit the sterilizer into any bags. It is also convenient for families who like to travel.
- FDA Listed medical device, this sterilizer is clinically tested and proven.
- It is made of UV-proof ABS material, making it safe to use for sterilizing bottles, nipples and pacifiers within minutes.
- This device only requires 2-steps sanitization process. The first step is to wash the bottle with warm water and soap, and the second step is to sanitize it with this UV sterilizer.
- This sterilizer may leave a smell and taste during the sterilizing process.
Sterilizing baby’s bottles and feeding items make parents feel better about what goes into their babies’ mouth. While there are many options that you can choose from, all sterilizers provide thorough and quick disinfecting process. Regarding this matter, we highly recommend Little Matisse Multifunctional Intelligent Baby Bottle Sterilizer.
In addition to its drying feature, this machine can also be used for heating up food, steaming food and warming up milk. To make the task even easier, this sterilizer comes with an illuminated digital interface that displays temperature data, time, current cycle and more. It also provides 6 modes and 3 options that you can choose from.